Home  / 394.002

394.002

Thomas leg splint, 1930, comprising two iron rods descending from a leather-padded oval ring which fits around the upper thigh.

Production date
1930
Labels
The Thomas splint has been around since the mid nineteenth century, but was used extensively in the First World War to reduce mortality rates from soldiers being shot in the thigh. Contemporary wartime surgeon Sir Henry Gray reported that when the Thomas splint was used to treat almost all femoral (thigh) fractures during one battle in 1917, the mortality rate was 15.6%, compared to 80% earlier in the war.


In the later years of the war, when it became routinely supplied on the front line, teams of stretcher-bearers would quickly apply the splint to casualties lying in No Man's Land. As they sometimes had to perform this task at night, they were trained to apply it blindfolded.

Part 394.002

Classification:
2514: Splints, crutches and collars, artificial legs and arms
Object Name:
splint
Location:
In Storage